Long Weekend Part Two – Noblesville

This is the second post in a series detailing our trip to see Phish last weekend. You can read Part One here. (I promise this post won’t be as long!)

After finally making it out of the city, and out of the rain, we were on our way to Indianapolis. The rest of the drive was pretty uneventful, apart from some heavy traffic on 65 due to construction. That set us a little further behind in our schedule, but it wasn’t too bad.

We had enough time to check into the hotel, run to a grocery store (to pick up some hot dogs, buns and condiments) and get to the venue with a couple hours to spare to grill out, drink some beers, and just plain ol’ relax.

The time came to head in and find our seats. We walked around the inside of the venue to see if there was any good beer for sale (there was, but not as good as the last time we were there), then headed into the pavillion.

Our seats were right down in front. They were row “F”, but with the way the venue is laid out, in our section that was second row. And, with the way the rows curved around, since we were the two end seats, we were pretty much front row. (See the photoset on Flickr for some pics to get an idea of the view.)

The band hit the stage with the usual excitement coming from the crowd. The first set was amazing. (I’m not going to bother with a full review of the show – that’s bot really the point of these posts.)

After the first set we headed back out to the venue to hang out, rest a bit (from all of the dancing – if you’ve ever been to a Phish show you understand) and wait for the second set.  That’s when things took a turn.

During the set break, a storm started moving in. It was off in the distance, but you could see the lightning shooting across the sky. It looked impressive, and the crowd roared every time it happend, but we were starting to get a little worried. Eventually, there was an announcement made over the sound system, but we couldn’t hear what was said from where we were. (It turned out to be Page telling the people who had lawn seats to go wait in their cars!)

We headed back into the pavillion, only to see that the equipment on stage was being covered up. We waited a bit, wondering aloud to each other whether there would be a second set or not. After a couple of minutes they started to take the speakers that were hanging above the front of the stage down. Since our seats were almost directly under the speakers on our side of the stage, we had to move.

We headed back out of the pavillion out of fear that, if things got as bad as they were when we were leaving Chicago, people might start rushing the pavillion for cover. Once back out by the concession area we debated whether we should wait to see if there was going to be a second set (it was about 10:30 by this time, and Deer Creek has an 11:00 curfew), and eventually decided to just head out and try to beat the storm.

We got to the car just as it started to rain. We felt lucky, given the events of earlier that day. The drive back to the hotel was quick and uneventful – the strom wasn’t getting bad yet.

When we got back to the hotel, it still was just a light rain. Back in the room, I decided to check the official Phish Twitter feed, and sure enough they had started playing again. Damn.

It was nearly an hour and a half after the end of the first set when they started the second (they must have decided just to pay the fines they would receive for breaking the curfew). I’ve read it was good (I downloaded it, but haven’t listened to it yet), so I’m disappointed that we didn’t stay. If it wasn’t for dealing with the terrible storm in Chicago earlier that day, we probably would have. But, having just been through that, I guess we were a little bit spooked.

Oh, well. We had a good time, anyway.  And the next day we would be on our way to Wisconsin for a day of relaxing in Lake Geneva, followed by another show the following day.


One comment on “Long Weekend Part Two – Noblesville

  1. Pingback: Long Weekend Part Three – Wisconsin « Chitown George

Comments are closed.